As most of you healthy living bloggers know, the Healthy Living Summit is a mere 9 days away!
This year, the conference is being held in downtown Minneapolis, my lovely former stomping grounds :) Since I ate my way through the city for the better part of 4 years, I thought I’d share my restaurant knowledge with all of you lovely ladies attending HLS! And also with those of you looking to find delicious eats in Minneapolis!
As a side note, Katie and I are hosting a Friday dinner mini-mingle at Kindee Thai Restaurant! Their food is amazing, the restaurant is super close to our cocktail hour and you’ll get to spend time with Katie and I (what more could you want??!) – If you want to RSVP, sign up here!
- Glam Doll Donuts – Best. Donuts. EVER! Perfect for breakfast but they’re also open until the wee hours of the morning so if you get a little hungry after the cocktail hour, head on down to Glam Doll to satisfy your sweet tooth ;)
- Hell’s Kitchen – A few steps away from our hotel, Hell’s Kitchen serves great breakfasts that will satisfy anyone in the group with their wide array of breakfast options from HUGE sweet rolls to savory delights. Their decor is quite interesting and their wait staff wear their PJ’s on weekend mornings – no need to dress up for brunch if you head here! Hell’s Kitchen also has great happy hours and dinner options as well! If you want something quicker – grab ‘n’ go style – head on up to their sister store, Angel Food and Bakery for a pastry and cup o’ joe.
- Nicollet Island Inn – For those of you who like things a bit fancier, head to Nicollet Island Inn for their 4-course Sunday brunch. It won’t disappoint. From omelettes to pastries to smoked Salmon to piping hot coffee – this brunch is one thing that I don’t want to miss when I get back to Minneapolis!
- Pizza Nea – My favorite pizza place in Minnesota. Pizza Nea serves authentic, Italian-style pizzas and delicious wines for a great price! A small and adorable restaurant in Northeast Minneapolis!
- Grumpy’s – Looking for a low-key night? Head to a great local “dive bar” in downtown Minneapolis. Wear your lulu or your jeans or your fanciest dress – it doesn’t matter, anything goes here! The bartenders are chill and there are pool tables galore. If you get the munchies while at Grumpy’s, the bar food is amazing and they have quite a few vegan options as well!
- Mesa Pizza – Another pizza place. Weird ;) Mesa Pizza is in Dinkytown – The University of Minnesota’s college campus and they have ANY type of pizza you can imagine. Macaroni and Cheese pizza? Check. Fajita Pizza? You betcha. Spicy Chicken with Avocado? Oh yes, definitely yes!
- Chipotle – No explanation needed here! There is a Chipotle a block away from our hotel. Excited? Me too – let’s plan a Sunday lunch date to Chipotle!!
- Bewitched Deli – A delicious deli located in the Warehouse District of Minneapolis. Tasty sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts all from locally made and sourced products. It’s a win-win! Good for your tummy, your body and our small, local farmers :)
- Devil’s Advocate – A unique restaurant/bar that focuses on meatball EVERYTHING and it is just around the corner from our hotel! They do the normal beef meatballs but also have fun options like falafel and fish. They also have a HUGE beer selection that I’d recommend checking out… but that’s just me ;)
- Chino Latino – You MUST visit Chino Latino in Uptown while in Minneapolis! Upscale “street food” from around the world served family style in a hip and vibrant atmosphere. Their drinks are pretty phenomenal too! If you plan on going with a group, make a reservation ASAP – this place fills up on the weekends!
- Vic’s Dining – My all-time favorite restaurant in Minneapolis. The food is slightly over-priced but they sell their wine at cost which makes up for the price, at least in my opinion! They have an amazing patio that overlooks the Mississippi. If anyone wants to head here Saturday night, count me in!
- Pracna on Main – Another winner from historic St. Anthony Main along the Mississippi River. Now y’all know where I spent a majority of my time while living in Minneapolis! Decent bar-type food with fun drinks and amazing microbrews that are on happy hour from 9pm-11pm daily – $3/pint!
- Stella’s Fish Cafe – A fun restaurant in Uptown that is known for it’s delicious mojitos and views from atop the building. Get a seat on the rooftop and gaze over Uptown and see the Minneapolis skyline while enjoying tasty fish and sippin’ on your mint-flavored cocktail.
- Barbette – If you do one thing while in Minneapolis, go get the fries at Barbette – A French Bistro in Uptown. (The half-sized version is PLENTY!) They are the best fries I’ve ever tasted and compliment the mussels perfectly. They’re also good with wine if you care to know ;)
- Aster Cafe – A small, quaint cafe that has an adorable patio overlooking the Mississippi. You will feel like you’re in a mystical forest if you dine there at night surrounded by trees decorated with white lights. Their flatbreads and cheese plates will not leave you disappointed!
- Origami – My favorite sushi restaurant in Minneapolis! Located in a small, older building in the Warehouse District – try to get a seat upstairs at the bar. The bartender will give you great service and will tell you everything that isn’t on the menu!
- The Bachelor Farmer – A Scandinavian-style cuisine owned by the Dayton brothers – their family also started Target Corporation so you know that this restaurant HAS to be good! Start with the popover course and go from there. Amazing food with even better service.
- Toast Wine Bar – A cute, little wine bar and restaurant tucked away under an apartment building. Their flatbreads, crostinis and wine are all fabulous and at a great price!
- Lucia’s – This gem touts a new menu full of fresh, local ingredients daily. Their soup is always the best soup I’ve ever had (yes, every time – it just gets better!) and it has been said that Josh Hartnett likes to hang there. Just in case you’d like a celebrity siting during your trip ;)
Did Someone Say Snack?
- Dunn Bros – For the love of all things holy, get a coffee here while you’re in Minneapolis. I have been having serious Dunn Bros withdrawals ever since moving to Chicago. Sad but true. SO much better than Starbucks and Caribou and – gulp – even Dunkin’ (Yes, I said it…) – Do not miss this unique, Minnesota coffee company while in town!
- Candyland – I must admit that I never visited this vision of a child’s heaven while living in Minneapolis but was given some of their popcorn and it did not disappoint. If you need a sweet bite to eat, head to Candyland. It will have every type of candy your little heart can ever desire!
- Yogurt Lab – Frozen yogurt. TONS of topping. Need I say more? Didn’t think so ;)
- Cocoa and Fig – So you want something a little fancier, eh? Well, I have just the place for you! Cocoa and Fig bakes mini cupcakes, cake pops, granola – and everything is so gorgeous you won’t want to eat it. Okay, you will probably still want to eat everything in their tiny, skyway shop but at least longingly gaze at your beautiful cupcake before you quickly inhale it!
Phew – This was a long list and included only a few of the restaurants that I love in Minneapolis! If you’re looking for a specific cuisine or have questions about where to eat in Minneapolis, feel free to shoot me an email (becky (at) olivesnwine (dot) com) and I’ll do my best to help you out!
Have you ever visited Minneapolis? What is your favorite place to eat in the Twin Cities? If you’ve never visited, where are you most looking forward to eating while in town for HLS?