Well hello there Thursday, so nice of you to make an appearance!
This morning I’m headed off to MOPS then it’ll be a busy afternoon getting ready for visitors this weekend and family photos tonight. Whew! I’m slightly tired just thinking about today ;) Add to that a fun ladies’ wine and game night that I went to last night with a few friends in my neighborhood… Let’s just say, bring on the weekend!
I thought it would be fun to share some little known facts about myself in today’s post… Or maybe well known facts if you’ve been following me for a while.
Let’s jump right in!
1. I LOVE to bake. Like love love LOVE to bake. It relaxes me and it is fun to see others enjoy your creations. My nickname may have been Becky Crocker in grad school… What can I say? I liked to share my treats with my team! You can find some of my tasty recipes here.
2. Speaking of school, I received both my undergraduate degree and MBA from Iowa State University. Go Cyclones! My undergraduate is in environmental science and I earned a minor in sustainable agriculture while working toward my MBA. #treehugger4life
3. I met my husband (Kyle) in grad school – We are the two in the middle in the photo below. We were in the same MBA program and after our first date (it was a run!), I thought the next 2 years were going to be super awkward since we would have to see each other on a daily basis. Welp, turns out it worked out since we are married now ;)
4. I am a new-ish mom to Dean (aka – Deany Beany) – He’s almost 6 months old! It feels like just yesterday we were announcing his pending arrival.
5. Before The Deanster made me a human mama, my first child is the one and only Mitchell. Mitchell Man is a black lab-mastiff cross and I have had him ever since he was 4 weeks old! He will be 10 in March although he still acts like he is 2 (when do labs calm down?!) – I adopted him when I was 21 and he’s been in my life longer than Mr. Kyle.
6. Before living in Naples, Florida, Kyle and I lived in downtown Chicago for almost exactly one year. And before Chicago, we lived in Minneapolis for four years. I grew up in Iowa so Florida is the first place I have lived outside of the Midwest.
7. While we are on the topic of the Midwest, I hateeeee winter. I would much rather be hot than cold so when Kyle was offered a new position in Naples, I was ready to pack up and leave that night ;) I will admit that I miss the fall weather, but it is fall-like from Thanksgiving through April here so I can’t complain too much. I also miss living downtown in a large city… although we wouldn’t be downtown if we had stayed in Chicago thanks to The Deanster.
8. In my previous life (my life before Florida), I worked in the retail industry in Corporate America. I provided analytics and financial data to help support the buying teams’ decisions. While it was fun to help select product for store shelves, it isn’t as easy as it is made to seem in a store! There is so much that goes into each product – It somewhat ruined my love of shopping… But only kind of, hehe! And yes, I’m a math nerd ;)
9. Now, I am in the fitness industry! I am a NASM CPT and teach BODYPUMP and Spinning at gyms in Naples. It’s a good “job” to have as a mom. I can get out of the house daily to teach but still spend time with my little dude. Plus, people that workout are HAPPY and it is fun to work with happy, motivated, healthy, and excited individuals!
10. I really like wine and olives – hence Olives ‘n Wine, but I am in no way a wine connoisseur. I can tell you what I like and don’t like, but don’t ask me to tell you if the wine is acidic or floral or any of that jazz. I’ll just tell you if it’s good or not and if I would like a refill. Please and thank you!
11. Also, don’t ask me to pick out a bottle of red. It causes me stress! Whites I can do but I have an irrational fear of selected a horrible tasting bottle of red.
12. Here on the blog, I like to write like I speak. I like to feel as if I’m having a conversation with y’all and that if you met me in real life, you would recognize my style :)
13. I’m incredibly Type A although becoming a mom has somehow caused me to chill out a bit. I still have my Type A tendencies but go with the flow more often than not now (and without freaking out about it!).
14. One of my life goals (actually “our” life goals) is to own a condo in downtown Chicago on Lake Michigan as well as a condo or a house here in Naples. We are ready to be snowbirds! We already have the house in Naples (Here is a tour!), now to save up for a condo in Chicago.
15. I’m scared of water. There, I said it. I will never ever swim alone (someone has to be in the water with me) and jumping into the ocean terrifies me. Yup, I live on a beach too! I know how to swim but the thought of a shark attack or not being able to see my feet gives me the heebie jeebies. Add that to my list of irrational fears along with flying.
16. Generally, I’m a very positive person. I like to see the good in everything and keep a “glass half full” mentality. I figure it isn’t worth getting upset over things you can’t control in life! And the one thing we do have the power to change is our attitude.
17. I’m OB-sessed with Chipotle. I may be there #1 fan. I’m fairly certain Dean’s cells are at least 50% Chipotle considering how much I ate it while pregnant… My other favorite foods include nachos (Grumpy’s in Minneapolis has the BEST nachos, in case you were curious.), black olive pizza, apples, bananas, anything peanut butter and chocolate (especially Reese’s), and avocados. This list makes me look like a super unhealthy eater! I actually eat fairly well most of the time… I just have certain treats I have to indulge in from time to time, like nachos ;)
18. I’m 100% a morning person. I would much rather wake up at 5am than stay up past 9pm. #oldlady
So there you have it! A little bit of random facts about me. I hope y’all learned something new through my thinking out loud post.
Cheers to Friday Eve! But really, what type of wine are you sippin’ on right now? ;)